Sunday, June 19, 2011

Point - Counterpoint

Point: I don't like being woken up early by the pitter patter (more like stomper stamper) of little feet.
Counterpoint: I worry when they sleep late. Maybe they've stopped breathing, been kidnapped, run away.

Point: It's hard going to work in the morning when a two year old just wants to snuggle.
Counterpoint: It's hard playing with kids after a long day of work when I just want to sit in a comfy chair with my eyes closed.

Point: I don't like playing "What's that smell" in the boys' room.
Counterpoint: I really don't like finishing a round in the game of "What's that smell" in the boys' room.

Point: I don't like stalking around the house, turning off lights.
Counterpoint: It's kind of fun working to achieve the appropriate level of muttering while stalking around the house.

Point: I don't like finding child inflicted damage on walls, trees, computers, furniture, cars, sisters, gardens, clothes, carpets, animals, etc.
Counterpoint: I also don't like the feeling of hypocrisy when I tell a child not to inflict damage on walls, trees, computers, furniture, cars, sisters, gardens, clothes, carpets, animals, etc. (sorry Dad)

Point: I like watching them grow up so we can do older activities.
Counterpoint: I don't like watching them grow up and finding I miss some of the younger activities. (But I'm pretty sure I'll never miss Candyland.)

Point: I like thinking about the things they're going to accomplish as they get older.
Counterpoint: I don't like thinking about the obstacles they're going to have to overcome as they get older.

Point: I like being a dad.
Counterpoint: Sometimes it's hard being a dad.

The whole point: Most of the time it's great.

1 comment:

  1. Joe bought me candyland a few years ago. I still can't find anyone to play with me. :(

    ReplyDelete